Re: [Asrg] [1] Why SPAM is worse in SMTP than in other protocols

2003-12-18 07:08:49
Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
Therefore, a comparison to other messaging system can provide us with a set of features present in those systems, which accomplish the same goal of reducing abusive behavior. Then we can see which of these features can be added to email as well, if possible.

IMHO there are interesting (dis)similarities between SMTP and TCP. For example dictionary attack is like portscan and email address forgery is like IP spoofing.

I think making SMTP more TCP-like can help to implement SMTP-firewalling functionality as in the case in the evolution from routers to firewalls.

z2