Re: [Asrg] Re: 03.1 Re: Forgery in SMTP (applying flame retardent)

2003-12-26 17:17:38
On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 04:00:10PM -0800, Matthew Elvey wrote

Walt: I think Alan is implicitly referring to the LMAP technology, which
WILL allow the victim to prevent abuse of their name.
Of course, it doesn't work IRL yet, and I can see how you wouldn't
realise he was referring to it.
Flamewar quenched, I hope.  Chill, guys.

  I apologize if I came on too strong.  I was trying to say that Alan
should not be held responsible for the misdeeds of others.  The ultimate
responsibility lies with the spammer, and contributory negligence may be
attributed to owners of compromised machines.

  The point I was trying to make was that SMTP allows almost any text
(excepting .\n\n) in the raw DATA: body.  The DATA: body includes the
"From:" header.  Most MUAs don't know about envelope-sender, and many
ISPs omit envelope-sender in the email as delivered to the end-user's
POP account.  The only thing that the recipient can know for certain
(assuming they can parse headers) is the final external IP address that
handed the email to their ISP.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Email users are divided into two classes;