Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Computational - MSFT's "Penny Black"

2003-12-26 17:03:20

Vinny wrote:
>   For example, how expensive would it be to buy Pentium
>
>>100's, 486's or even 386's (if you can find them) and build a server
>>farm?  These used systems could be had for less than $100 and perhaps far
>
> less.
>
> Much cheaper, in fact. Try retrobox.com, or this url:
>
> http://www.retrobox.com/rbwww/home/search_results_pc_computers.asp?bin_id=world&page=1&Manufacturer_ID=&CPU_ID=&CPU_Speed_ID=&RAM_ID=&HD_Size_ID=&CD_ROM_Flag=&Price=&order_by=price%5Fcurrent%5Fselling%5Fprice+asc
>
> At this web page, at the time I looked at it, they were offering a Pentium
> 2, 133 mhz, 64 mb ram for $11.00, but you'd have to pay $30 or so for
> shipping.
>

>>It might help slow down the "home" spammer but surely those that send out
>>the bulk of the spam can afford additional computers to divide up the CPU
>>processing load (and the power to power them.)
>
> But every little decrease in spam helps. There was a slashdot article a
> while back about a Bible thumping grandma spammer, (I would provide the url, > but /.'s search function is not coming up and Google's not helping) and we
> really need to get those spammers out of the way. How much spam do they
> account for? We'll never know until we try. And if we make spamming more
> costly, more technical knowledge required, then we can start cutting into
> the biggest spammers profit margins.
>
> -Vinny

(slashdot link)

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/14/198202

The Life of a Spammer
Posted by timothy on Sunday December 14, @02:28PM
from the neighbor-v-neighbor dept.
An anonymous reader writes "The Atlanta Journal-Constitution ran an
interesting article today about the life of a "small time" spammer. It
is interesting to note that even a religiously zealous grandmother can
mire our inboxes with junk." That's Flo Fox, of Slidell, LA.

(my comments)

HashCash / Penny Black proposals suffer from one flaw that I see... they
assume that there is no legitimate reason for a low-budget organization
to send high volumes of e-mail.  Driving up the costs for spammers also
drives up the costs for things like public mailing list servers.
Unfortunately, I'll bet spammers have deeper pockets or else they'll
just hijack additional machines to meet their quotas (something the
legitimate low-budget organization can't/won't do).

It's still an interesting idea, but I'm not sure that it's practical in
the real-world.