Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Computational - MSFT's "Penny Black"

2003-12-26 21:29:43
Art Pollard wrote:

HashCash / Penny Black proposals suffer from one flaw that I see... they
assume that there is no legitimate reason for a low-budget organization
to send high volumes of e-mail.  Driving up the costs for spammers also
drives up the costs for things like public mailing list servers.
<SNIP>
It's still an interesting idea, but I'm not sure that it's practical in
the real-world.

Well, it could be combined with a whitelist. Basically, the first message (the subscribe message) could be HashCash/Penny Blacked. Then the subscriber would add them to a whitelist. If the user failed to do so after a couple of days, a warning message could be sent out and if the person again didn't whitelist the mailing list, the mailing list could unsubscribe them.

Not too bad really.

-Art

That thought also crossed my mind, where only untrusted domains would be required to Hash Cash / Penny Black (either through a whitelist or domains that don't have reverse-MX information). Which makes it a bit more like the real-world concept of "friends are always welcome, strangers have to show multiple forms of ID before they get past the front door". A targeted system would make it more palatable as you're only requiring strangers to do the calculation (or any system that doesn't seem quite on the up-and-up).

However, it's difficult to currently identify "friends", so any sort of targeted Hash Cash / Penny Black solution requires other things to be in place first. (Reverse MX systems, mail servers that sign outbound mail with a private key that matches the public key in the DNS, etc.)

Seems a shame to waste all those CPU cycles though... pity they couldn't be turned into encryption cycles of the actual message content.