Re: [Asrg] Microsoft publicly announces Penny Black PoW postage project

2003-12-26 16:19:23
  For example, how expensive would it be to buy Pentium
100's, 486's or even 386's (if you can find them) and build a server
farm?  These used systems could be had for less than $100 and perhaps far
less.

Much cheaper, in fact. Try retrobox.com, or this url:

http://www.retrobox.com/rbwww/home/search_results_pc_computers.asp?bin_id=world&page=1&Manufacturer_ID=&CPU_ID=&CPU_Speed_ID=&RAM_ID=&HD_Size_ID=&CD_ROM_Flag=&Price=&order_by=price%5Fcurrent%5Fselling%5Fprice+asc

At this web page, at the time I looked at it, they were offering a Pentium
2, 133 mhz, 64 mb ram for $11.00, but you'd have to pay $30 or so for
shipping.

It might help slow down the "home" spammer but surely those that send out
the bulk of the spam can afford additional computers to divide up the CPU
processing load (and the power to power them.)

But every little decrease in spam helps. There was a slashdot article a
while back about a Bible thumping grandma spammer, (I would provide the url,
but /.'s search function is not coming up and Google's not helping) and we
really need to get those spammers out of the way. How much spam do they
account for? We'll never know until we try. And if we make spamming more
costly, more technical knowledge required, then we can start cutting into
the biggest spammers profit margins.

-Vinny