Re: [Asrg] [1] Why SPAM is worse in SMTP than in other protocols

2003-12-16 19:27:46
On Dec 16, 2003, at 14:21, Alan DeKok wrote:
  Even as rough as it is, I feel very positive about it.  It gives a
number of *concrete* reasons as to why spam is worse in SMTP than in
any other protocol.  It allows us to classify the anti-spam measures,
and see which part of spam they fight.

Here's another one:

SMTP requires resources which cost money, yet an unlimited number of unauthenticated users are allowed to consume those resources as much as they like, at no financial cost to them.

That's a big human problem. I can't think of any system with that problem that has worked in the real world.

mathew