Re: [Asrg] [1] Why SPAM is worse in SMTP than in other protocols

2003-12-16 17:51:41
Dave Crocker wrote:

Alan,

AD>   Even as rough as it is, I feel very positive about it.  It gives a
AD> number of *concrete* reasons as to why spam is worse in SMTP than in
AD> any other protocol.  It allows us to classify the anti-spam measures,

  An exercise like the one you are doing can be very useful.
Let me strongly encourage you to re-cast the bulk of your document
  into non-technical issues, first.  That is, discuss messaging and a
  human process, without concern for whether it is paper mail, email, or
  whatever.  As you offer criticisms of the human communication modes
  available for Internet mail, compare whether they differ from the
  modes available for other messaging.

Would it be something along the lines of the following?:

---------------
In human communications we have a sender, a receiver, the message and a messaging system. The sender creates the message, hands it off to the messaging system, and the system delivers it to the receiver.

If the delivery is unsuccessful, depending on the system used, the sender is notified of the failure. Different messaging systems can also deliver the message to multiple receivers, and combine messages from multiple senders into one message before being delivered to receivers.

Examples of messaging systems include: direct speech (face to face), telephone, fax, television, radio, email, instant messaging, postal mail, telegraph, etc. All of these have potential for abuse which varies from system to system.
---------------

  When you suggest superior modes of operation, discuss them in terms of
  the human communication first, and the technical aspects second.

  After we have some consensus about these issues, in terms of human
  communication, it will then be reasonable to see what changes are
  needed to the technology.

The underlying problem is a human one and we need to understand it before changing the technology. The reasons why spam is being sent, and is profitable, are human reasons which need to be addressed.

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"And this too shall come to pass"
-------