Re: [Asrg] Re: [1] Why SPAM is worse in SMTP than in other protocols

2003-12-22 11:47:19
"Jon Kyme" <jrk(_at_)merseymail(_dot_)com> wrote:
In the case of prior explicit consent I suppose I'm offering a
sender license to use my resources. I guess this is precisely what a
consent token does. Without explicit consent, license is
conditional, or reserved.

  Exactly.  In many cases, "license" is a synonym for "permission".

"license" smells of contract law - IANAL. I dare say a lawyer might have a
view on this.

  Many contracts involve the granting of license, if certain
conditions are met.  You can have a contract without a license, and a
license without a contract.  The software "click to agree" things are
contacts, disguised as licenses.

 In terms of SMTP, publishing recipient policy may be equivalent to
giving license to people to use the recipients resources within that
policy.  It does make it clear that senders NOT following the policy
are forbidden from using the recipients resources.

  Alan DeKok.