Re: [Asrg] Re: [1] Why SPAM is worse in SMTP than in other protocols

2003-12-22 13:45:58
Troy Rollo <asrg(_at_)troy(_dot_)rollo(_dot_)name> wrote:
As for the subject of this thread, it seems to me that the
comparison between protocols per se is misguided and although I
haven't read the whole thread, I'm surprised the topic has lasted
this long. Spam (not SPAM, the meat product) is worse in SMTP
because it's the protocol that allows the spammer to put the message
in the face of the target.

  HTTP puts messages in front of people, too, but the users have to
request it.  IRC also puts messages in front of people, but spammers
get booted off of the IRC network.  NNTP does it too, but things like
"cancel bots" get rid of a lot of the spam, before it's delivered.
(To say nothing of the Usenet Death Penalty.)

  None of these approaches work in SMTP.

Take, for example, the MS network popup messaging protocol (whose
name I don't recall). It also put the message in the face of the
targets.

  And as you noticed, the abuse stopped because everyone decided they
didn't need the protocol.  We can't do that with SMTP.

  Please read the document.  It tries to explain all this in more
detail than I've included here.

  Alan DeKok.