Re: [Asrg] Re: Why SPAM is worse in SMTP than in other protocols

2003-12-24 12:06:28
On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 06:27:40PM -0000, John R. Levine wrote:
The real reason there's e-mail spam is that e-mail by its nature the
costs are mostly borne by the recipient.  Everything else flows from
that.  There's no way to fix that without a top to bottom redesign
and maybe not even then.  (By fix I mean move the actual location of
the costs, not layering on an e-postage scheme that's supposed to
artificially compensate recipients and charge senders.)

is this ASRG policy now ?

Sure, I suppose so.  We're working on a new improved charter which
isn't quite done, but I can promise that it doesn't contain the word
"consent".

Does that mean that the equivalent intent will be shown, without using
the "C" word - or that the intent of the research group will change?

I found Consent to be a very useful concept in the analysis of spam.
What are the reasons for it dissapearing from the charter?

--
David Maxwell, david(_at_)vex(_dot_)net|david(_at_)maxwell(_dot_)net --> The
only difference I see