Re: [Asrg] Re: Why SPAM is worse in SMTP than in other protocols

2003-12-23 10:15:30
asrg(_at_)johnlevine(_dot_)com (John R. Levine) wrote:
The real reason there's e-mail spam is that e-mail by its nature the
costs are mostly borne by the recipient.  Everything else flows from
that.  There's no way to fix that without a top to bottom redesign and
maybe not even then.

  Greylisting moves some of the cost to the sender, by slowing down
the rate at which messages are sent.

There aren't any large-scale communication system in which all of the
participants are authenticated and I don't see that any of us know how
to build one.

  I agree.  And I'm not sure if we *want* such a system.  Holding
senders accountable is a good idea, but that doesn't mean they need to
be individually authenticated.

All of the scams we see in spam started in other places.  ...  They
moved to e-mail because it's cheap, not because it's
unauthenticated.

  Cheap also means fast turn-around times.  It takes time to set up
scams with pen and paper, and you can't reach many people.  The
Internet is a god-send for scammers: reach millions of people with
near-zero cost.

  Therefore, the obvious ways to attack scammers is to reduce the
number of people they can reach, and to increase their costs.
Authentication won't help here.

  Alan DeKok.