Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Define Spam

2004-01-05 10:16:25

At the risk of seeing this whole discussion brought up yet again ....
(Though I guess it already has.)

Rather than trying to come up with the "perfect" definition of spam, we simply need to define it / use it in such a way that it will provide the most immediate benefit. Of course, the definition: "Spam is whatever the end-user defines it to be" is probably the most accurate in many people's minds and in particular our own. However, it is not useful as was mentioned in an earlier post.

The immediate problem we are all facing is the sending of "unwanted automated bulk e-mail." (Or should I say the receipt of it.) And that is the definition we should use for the time being. Once this problem has been solved or nearly so, then perhaps we can think of ways to deal with "unwanted e-mail", "unwanted bulk e-mail" (that is sent out by hand by somebody in a third world country hired for their cheap labor rates), or other definition. In the meantime, the bulk (pun) of the problem will have been addressed and hopefully taken care of. The mail volume will be significantly less and at that point, it makes sense to find ways to reassess our position and the problem.

-Art
--
Art Pollard
http://www.lextek.com/