Re: [Asrg] 7. BCP - Abuse Reporting standard

2004-01-06 13:17:46
Jon Kyme wrote:
On NANAE, there's a group working on a "standard spam reporting" format
(see http://www.tmisnet.com/~strads/spam/bcp.html )

This is probably the kind of thing that should be invited to come under the
ASRG BCP sub-group - if we still have one. Should we (and by 'we' I mean
the chairs) be making more of an effort to recruit this kind of community
initiative to come and work under aegis of ASRG?

Personally, I don't think it's quite there yet - a RFC1894 message strikes
me as an obvious kind of thing - but it looks like a good start. There's
scope for interaction with LMAP I should think.

We actually have been discussing this. I have also been thinking about using something like DSNs for this, with one part for human readable data, another part for machine-readable and a copy of the original message.

However, the problem seems to me that there is much more than simple email abuse here. This format can be used for reporting spam messages. What about open relays, hijacked computers, spam websites, false domain registrations, etc.? All of these play a large part in the spam world and SpamCop for example, reports URLs regularly. Some of this overlaps with the workd of INCH and IDWG at the IETF.

So the question to me is more of scope - what scope should this subgroup have? Something that focuses solely on reporting spam messages themselves can be easily done with some kind of DSN-like format. BUT, if you want to report IPs, URLs, domains, and even perhaps include trace information on the spammer's companies, that is something much bigger, and requires different players.

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"But in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes" (Benjamin Franklin)
-------