Re: [Asrg] 2. Legal - Last Call: 'A No Soliciting SMTP Service Extension' to Proposed Standard

2004-01-27 19:21:36
- 'A No Soliciting SMTP Service Extension '
   <draft-malamud-no-soliciting-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

Promulgation of this document as an RFC would encode exactly what we tried to avoid with our consent framework: content-specific solutions that are open to definition wars, redefinition, and even worse, cross-border legal wrangling. It requires that senders, to be compliant with every possible national law, check their mail against each and every registered keyword. I believe that the acceptance of this proposal would be harmful to the operation of the global mail transport system. However, I want to hear some other opinions before submitting my comments to the IETF.

Also, should we, as a group, submit a collective opinion, which may carry more weight than just our individual statements?

Philip Miller