Re: [Asrg] 2. Legal - Last Call: 'A No Soliciting SMTP Service Extension' to Proposed Standard

2004-01-27 21:23:40
Philip Miller wrote:
- 'A No Soliciting SMTP Service Extension '
   <draft-malamud-no-soliciting-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard

Promulgation of this document as an RFC would encode exactly what we tried to avoid with our consent framework: content-specific solutions that are open to definition wars, redefinition, and even worse, cross-border legal wrangling. It requires that senders, to be compliant with every possible national law, check their mail against each and every registered keyword. I believe that the acceptance of this proposal would be harmful to the operation of the global mail transport system. However, I want to hear some other opinions before submitting my comments to the IETF.

Also, should we, as a group, submit a collective opinion, which may carry more weight than just our individual statements?

The current draft sets out that IESG or IANA should appoint a designated expert to do these. This may provide some oversight. However, another problem is that people might use it without going through the registry and use that as a basis for a lawsuit anyway.

There is also another issue of exchanging policy information between sending and receiving MTAs, which is related to what SPF is trying to do as well with extensibility.

In any case, it would be useful to hear what the author has to say to these.

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Why are both drug addicts and computer aficionados both called users?" (Clifford Stoll)
-------