Re: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-02-05 22:28:59
"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com> wrote:
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
I think that it would be OK to require ISPs to get consent from
the end user.

The end-user consents by not moving to another ISP.

That is where your core political beliefs clearly differ from mine.

I believe in personal freedom,

So do I.

there is no choice of cable company in my town, they are the only
provider of high speed Internet. I believe they should be a common
carrier by virtue of their monopoly status.

In that case they should be allowed to provide _only_ IP-level
connectivity, because that's all they have a monopoly on.  You could
then get your email from any email provider you wanted; that's clearly
not a monopoly.

Every individual should have the right to become a full citizen
of the net. That means owning and controlling their own Internet
identity - they should each have their own domain name.

If you don't want to spend the $10 you can get a free third-level
domain.  So what's the problem?

Seth