Re: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-02-04 22:46:10
"Bob Atkinson" <bobatk(_at_)Exchange(_dot_)Microsoft(_dot_)com> wrote:
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org [mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]
On Behalf Of
Seth
Breidbart

That can always be done by selecting a different ISP.  Therefore, any
problem is self-limiting.

This is to me a short sighted perspective. Not only are there
significant logistical costs to switching ISPs (economists would say
there is significant friction in the transaction) in many many areas it
is the case that just one ISP has a monopoly, and there simply isn't
another choice.

If you have Internet access, there's another choice.  I've been using
Panix since 1993 or so, but I haven't been dialing directly into it
for most of that time.  I get raw IP service locally (that has to be
local, and may have limited options); email and netnews come from
where _I_ want.

Indeed, that is the situation for me personally: I'm stuck with my
cable provider, whether I like them or not, and that's unlikely to
change for decades (my property boundary is a telco central office
boundary, so DSL will never come).

How do they prevent you from having an email account elsewhere?

Seth