RE: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-02-03 23:02:33
At 4/2/2004 02:17 Wednesday, you wrote:
If the internet would be operated like telephone networks in
general, we'd
have a new mail protocol every 2-3 years and it would be completely
incompatible to the others and nobody would ask any questions.
Why is it that software always has to be compatible? Nobody would ever
expect hardware (not computers) be compatible to its previous models.

Really?  The POTS phone I used back in 1978 still works just fine.

Well, a POTS phone is not something what I would call a mobile
phone, right?
So lets then keep a keen eye on GSM, CDMA, TDMA and what else on
abbreviations are vogue this year.
Besides, America is definitely not known for advances in telephone
technology. ;)

Andreas

My Ericson (70's) works just fine, and I am in Aus.

Are you saying we should rework the entire Internet every few years because
someone has come up with a brilliant new idea?

I am afraid all itinerent oops I mean internet users would go and find
something else to do, most can't handle keeping their current software up to
date, hence the huge number of spammed mail coming from less than secure
machines.

although some would like the Internet to go back to pre 1990's. for the rest
of us we'd be out of a job.

Now Replace the Internet and you are talking a different turkey.

But the old one will continue on just like POTS and there is no end in sight
for that. especially after all you mobile users succumb to brain tumours
(from the HF)

Regards
Chris