RE: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-02-03 21:07:30
At 4/2/2004 01:43 Wednesday, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> Suppose that is the price we pay with education - we expect
> others to have
> the same level of knowledge and that they understand us and
> our reasoning.

No, the users know far more about the Internet. They use it
more aggressively than the establishment for a start.

Sorry, I was more referring to the situation between "The IETF" and the rest of the world. Its like geologist and adventurer - both know the world but they have two different views of it.

The divide is much closer to the old divide between the
mainframe MIS types and the people like me who grew up with
micros. The MIS types thought they knew everything because
they used the most powerful machines of the day. But they
simply could not see why technologies like MVS and COBOL
were doomed for the dustbin. They had grown up with the faults
and could no longer see them.

Sounds familiar ;)

> >What I want to avoid here is a situation where a Rupert Murdoch could
> >decide to only allow political groups that agree with Fox News to
> >send mail to customers.
>
> The same happens everyday, everywhere. Take for example SMS messages
> between different operators. Its often not even possible to
> send a SMS from
> operator A to someone using operator B. Why? Surely not because of
> technical reasons. The whole GSM mobile market is a good
> example of how a
> few rule millions. What is there that these millions can do
> for/against it?

That is something that will be solved sooner rather than later.
The millions usually win.

Depends on the pace of advance. What we see here is such a quick advance that the changes faster than anybody can keep track of what is really going on. Only insiders and technically interested have any clue. If the internet would be operated like telephone networks in general, we'd have a new mail protocol every 2-3 years and it would be completely incompatible to the others and nobody would ask any questions. Why is it that software always has to be compatible? Nobody would ever expect hardware (not computers) be compatible to its previous models.

Andreas