RE: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-02-03 22:32:24
At 07:18 PM 2/3/2004, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

> At 2/2/2004 01:59 Monday, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> >I don't want my ISP making arbitrary decisions about what
> mail I receive,
> >I want to make those decisions myself, although I will probably use
> >third party info to do so.
>
> Phill, I think that you are making the almost usual mistake
> here in this
> group that you assume that everybody on the internet has an
> idea what they
> are doing.

Actually this is ny main complaint about the IETF establishment.
They still think they have a right to control the future of the net
but they simply don't care about the ordinary user.

I don't think this point is the least bit relevant to this mailing list.

Mark

> These days are over. Since about 10 years people using the
> internet have not a single idea about the technical side of it.
> 99.9% of all mail users would be more than happy when their
> ISP would do anything to suppress their spam.

All I think is necessary here is for the ISP to

        * Tell the end user what they are doing
        * Give the user an opportunity to opt out or select different
settings

I think that it would be OK to require ISPs to get consent from
the end user.

What I want to avoid here is a situation where a Rupert Murdoch could
decide to only allow political groups that agree with Fox News to
send mail to customers.

                Phill