Re: [Asrg] Its all over for Challenge Response

2004-02-05 23:19:00
If you have Internet access, there's another choice.  I've been using
Panix since 1993 or so, but I haven't been dialing directly into it
for most of that time.  I get raw IP service locally (that has to be
local, and may have limited options); email and netnews come from
where _I_ want.

Asking me to choose between a 24.4 kbps dialup (my phone lines are poor
quality) and a 750 Mbps broadband is only offering a false choice. My
ISP owns me, body and soul. And I'm by no means alone in that situation;
there are millions of others.

So get your IP connection via broadband and your email elsewhere.

How do they prevent you from having an email account elsewhere?

They prevent it because they own the filtering behavior on outbound
email (port 25 or whatever).

So find someone who'll forward your email from another port
(e.g. using the Submit protocol), or get an account you can ssh to, or
find some other solution.  There are plenty of them.  (You can even
arrange to ssh to Port 80, and I doubt they'll ever block _that_ port
outgoing.)

Seth