RE: [Asrg] Sendmail CEO Backs Yahoo DK and MS CID

2004-03-01 15:56:27
At 10:49 AM -0500 3/1/04, Larry Seltzer wrote:
The trojan could always read this data [[address book?]] directly. I don't think they
can block that.

And that's what they do, although the typical pattern is that they read .wab, .htm*, .txt, maybe .doc files, and scan them for e-mail addresses. Interesting, but not relevant to the main issue of authentication, except that to the extent that these worms read these addresses to determine from: addresses for their propagation, they are even
less likely to spread through SMTP authentication.

Swen. But I don't think it uses data from Outlook or Outlook Express. It simply pops
up a Window asking the user for his credentials.

A copy of this dialog box may be found at
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/graphics/w32(_dot_)swen(_dot_)a(_at_)mm(_dot_)5(_dot_)gif(_dot_) I have a hard time believing. I doubt many people remember their SMTP server credentials offhand,
since they are usually stored by the MUA for automatic use.

But anyway, if that's the best they can come up with I'm still sure that worm spreading would be cut dramatically. What they'd really need to do is to find ways to crack the
SMTP AUTH credentials from the various MUAs that might be on a system.

Are you unfamiliar with Swen?

Since 9/19/03 I have received 3621 copies of Swen from over 1700 unique IP addresses carrying 1651 unique envelope senders, and that only counts the ones aimed at my 'main' account. That number of held down by the fact that mail to that account has a very draconian SMTP-level blacklist in front of it as well as router-level protections which together shun mail from most of Asia and large pieces of the rest of the world, and I also use a number of the more conservative public blacklists. It is a rare day when I do not see a handful of new Swen sources. At one point the rate of Swen coming out of Charter's mailservers was so high that my only defense to keep my mail server usable for anything I wanted was to block that part of their network at the router level. It took less than2 days for their user population to reach that level of infection from the initial sightings of Swen.

Swen arrives with the real address of the infected user in the SMTP envelope and a bogus address that often claims to be from Microsoft in the From header. It arrives NOT from the actually infected machine, but from the normal outbound mailserver of that user's ISP or employer (or wherever they normally pass their mail.) That dialog you saw, as incredible as it may seem to you, demonstrably does its job quite well. The only other explanation would be that Swen is instead managing to dig credentials out of wherever Outlook Express stores them OR that it is using some programmatic means of getting the OS to send mail for it using the OE config and saved credentials, and that it is only presenting the dialog as a bit of misdirection for anti-virus folks. Unless a couple of ISP's have been lying to me without prompting (both volunteered that they require SMTP AUTH in asking me to stop blocking their servers,) Swen does indeed get through machines that require SMTP authentication.

Swen and more recent worms have provided rather solid proof that the most vulnerable attack point is between the keyboard and the chair.

--
Bill Cole
bill(_at_)scconsult(_dot_)com