RE: [Asrg] Sendmail CEO Backs Yahoo DK and MS CID

2004-03-02 03:58:51
A copy of this dialog box may be found at

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/graphics/w32(_dot_)swen(_dot_)a(_at_)mm(_dot_)5(_dot_)gif(_dot_)
I have a
hard time believing. I doubt many people remember their SMTP server
credentials offhand,
since they are usually stored by the MUA for automatic use.

I don't agree with you.  People don't bother to remember credentials for
machines behind adequate firewalls, having no publicly meaningful IP
address, with anti-virus and anti-intrusion stuff mounted on the Exchange
server (or non-MS equivalent), and good anti-virus stuff running on the
desktop.  In less secure environments, a lot of people do remember
credentials (and most people I know have desktops in both secure and
insecure environments, and let the MUA store credentials in one and not in
the other).

It is even possible to set up Outlook Express so that it CAN'T remember
credentials even if you ask it to (I did this on some machines, and can't
remember how to turn it off to allow the MUA to remember credentials - which
is a pity as some of those machines are now in clean envirenments).