RE: [Asrg] Sendmail CEO Backs Yahoo DK and MS CID

2004-03-01 15:18:01
People actually use spam the same as my wife uses junkmail.

Just because someone personally won't accept any form of spam
does not mean
the next person has to bow to their wishes.
this is effectivally censorship which I am totally against.

This is one thing I have been thinking lately. We want to get rid of
spam - sure - but surely there is a place for legitimate advertising on
the net. I am wholeheartedly for increased authentication so that we
know at least better than now who has sent each email. That way we can
start better targeting the worst spammers.

As you can guess from the above comment, my background is in marketing.
However, I am totally against Martha Siegel type of spammers who care
about nothing else but themselves and money, who cares if you clog the
whole net in the process?? That's how these guys think. I believe there
is a place for marketing on the net, even via email, and I believe we
could make it more acceptable too. A simple solution would be to add a
'marketing tag' (and possibly other tags showing what kind of product is
offered) into emails so that these emails could be bounced back to the
sender automatically if the recipient has indicated that s/he doesn't
want that kind of advertising. Idealistic? Perhaps.

In addition, I believe marketing messages should be made at the same
time subject to charges, and these charges would be used for getting
better stuff for users, similarly to TV advertising bringing better
programmes.

I know this is idealistic but I just wanted to bring a responsible
marketing view into this discussion (most of the people here are
probably more technical?). I believe all of the above would be great for
both users and marketers if it could be implemented. There is a minority
of marketers who would ever even consider spamming, but unfortunately
those few who do make the whole industry's reputation bad.

Cheers
Sami