Re: [Asrg] Re: 2. Uselessness of C/R

2004-03-19 12:15:53

mathew wrote:

On Jan 28, 2004, at 19:16, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

Any ideas on what is the percentage of users that do not have S/MIME? If MSFT, Mozilla, etc. and the other MUAs cover a virtual majority of the market, and would cover a majority of users affected by the phishing attacks, why aren't the banks deploying it?

Speaking as someone who's actually gone to the trouble of getting S/MIME set up... I can think of at least two reasons:

1. It's a pain in the ass to set up. You need to go through an unpleasant
bureaucratic procedure to get your certificate, and there are apparently half a dozen different file formats and obscure tools needed to convert between them.

Bad documentation from your vendors have nothing to do with S/MIME.

2. It doesn't work. Just because client A and client B both claim to support
   S/MIME, doesn't appear to mean that client A and client B can exchange
messages.

A popular vendor broke their implementation of S/MIME, that was fixed years
ago and a simple upgrade will fix that.

No matter what solutions are chosen  to combat spam, the vendor will have
to implement it correctly or things will not work.

S/MIME is not broken, the vendors may have broken implementations.

--

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
                              | Cell:   (208)520-4044

             We Do Standards - You Need Standards