Re: [Asrg] Re: 2. Uselessness of C/R

2004-03-24 11:10:43

mathew wrote:

On Mar 22, 2004, at 21:49, Doug Royer wrote:

No, but it's a good indication that S/MIME isn't ready for prime time when the three different S/MIME packages available to me can't talk to each other.

I can name 4 popular ones that can interoperate with each other. So it looks ready to me.

Go on then.

Here are three that don't: Lotus Notes, Mozilla, and Apple Mail.

I have exchanged HUNDREDS of S/MIME messages with IBM/Lotus
developers in the last year that use Lotus notes- so perhaps you have a buggy version?
We always sign our email and often encrypt it. I know it works with at least
newer versions of Lotus Notes.

I have never used Apple mail nor do I own an Apple system so I am unable to test
for issues with that implementation.

It works with (1) Outlook, (2) Exchange (which really are separate implementations)
(2) Lotus Notes , (3) Mozilla and Netscape Communicator (mostly the same
implementation) - that is what I use,  (4) Evolution , (5) TheBat,  and (6)
OpenSSL signature verification scanners. They also work with sendmails.org
milter filters interface for verifying S/MIME messages on the way in or out.

I own all of the above and have done testing of S/MIME with them.
I have tested both S/MIME digital signatures and encryption.

There are some older versions of Outlook that can not reply to an S/MIME
message, but can verify them. That is a bug in Outlook. Even older
versions of Outlook can not verify them. Both bugs are due to the
fact that someone at MS thought that you needed to have your own
cert in order to validate and reply to one. That was fixed a year
or two ago.

Older versions of Lotus Notes checked too many of the headers
and got validation errors. That was fixed about two years ago.

--

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
                              | Cell:   (208)520-4044

             We Do Standards - You Need Standards