Re: [Asrg] Usefulness of wholesale blocking of attachments for SMTP?

2004-04-19 16:26:35

My opinion:

This sort of summary (repeated below) lays out very well how much
we're heading straight towards a sort of regulatory heat death.

Who is going to "certify"? On what grounds? How corruptible are they
going to be? Who gets to clarify and modify standards.

The point is that I'm not usually one of these free-market nuts, but
in this case I think anything but assessing some sort of charge is
total madness and doomed to failure. Ten years of going round and
round trying to come up with some way to beat what appears to nearly
be a law of physics has convinced me of that. That is, it's almost as
if we're talking about how inconvenient gravity is, crashes planes,
makes things heavy increasing energy consumption etc, so we should
form an IRTG group and vote for better regulation of gravity.

You'd just be creating a target of opportunity for the highest bidder,
basically, some sort of corruptible, content-oriented regulatory
bureaucracy which has to operate in an international arena.

Personally I think this group would probably have done their job if
they could unanimously or near-unanimously or at least with some
amount of force of conviction just tell the public we've studied the
matter and basically we're trying to do the impossible which is
regulate a free, valuable resource by some unworkable set of rules
either implemented via software or some unnamed vehicle of human fiat
(i.e., regulation, legislation, big men with sticks...)

As such, the only chance of beginning to tackle the spam problem
requires some sort of postage, simple charging, to simply make
resource usage reflect costs. For everyone. Analogous to paper postal
systems with, perhaps, some creative twists to reflect the low cost of
common usage, preferably thrown back to the ISPs et al.

Any other approach, upon some examination, seems to be an exercise in
trying to re-create, this time successfully, what 75 years of the
Soviet Union and other Marxist countries failed to accomplish (I
really don't mean to come off like some kind of right-wing ranter but
for the purpose of discussion and short-hand symbols the metaphor
seemed apt but I wouldn't suggest repeating it in a press release!)

        -b