Re: [Asrg] hashcash, was My take on e-postage

2004-04-27 16:47:23
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
Jonathan Morton wrote:
So, OK, this is definitely going to turn off the non-hardcore spammers.
Those that are left will be the ones to send the law after.  Theft of
service and computer intrusion on this kind of scale is a crime, no
matter whether the actual spam is.

What you also have to factor here is how much money will be saved in
order to produce this reduction versus the costs required to convert
everybody to hashcash.

You also need to factor in the ongoing costs to update the hashcash
mechanism.

You may need to either increase the number of bits collided, as generic
hardware capability vs cost increases, or replace the scheme, if the
hashing algorithm is broken, or specialized hardware is built.

--
David Maxwell, david(_at_)vex(_dot_)net|david(_at_)maxwell(_dot_)net -->
All this stuff in twice the space would only look half as bad!