Re: [Asrg] My take on e-postage

2004-04-26 06:46:05
der Mouse <mouse(_at_)Rodents(_dot_)Montreal(_dot_)QC(_dot_)CA> writes:
Of course, it still suffers from the usual problems endemic to all
hashcash, notably the very wide variety in CPU speeds out there.
J. Random Hacker in Outer Slobbovia running on a half-lung salvaged
68020 will be utterly blocked by hashcash values high enough to be even
noticed by Evil Q. Spammer's late-model 8-CPU 18GHz Hexium.

One response to this has been to try to design functions that are
less dependent on processing power and more dependent on stuff
that's less variable.

See, e.g.,

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/context/2125750/0
http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/554568.html

That said, I seem to remember hearing that there have been
problems with these functions, though I don't track the
field that carefully...

-Ekr