Re: [Asrg] My take on e-postage

2004-04-27 15:33:10

So, don't be coy, tell us: what _does_ it cost to transport an email -
let's be generous and say a hundred-kilobyte email - from point A to
point B?

Why would you only want to include transportation/bandwidth costs?

This reminds me of people who'd call us and demand that a web site
should only cost what the disk space it takes up costs, pennies, paid
once.

Granted I'd separate, e.g., human costs.

But one reason for that is because we'll see something like 100K spams
for every one that ends up in front of a human (e.g., unknown users
via dictionary searches.)

For those there's zero human cost in terms of someone having to read
and delete those, but the cost in equipment etc bear a barrage like
that seems reasonable (remember my comment about 1,000+ systems
spewing the same spam simultaneously not being unusual?)

Anyhow, what's your point, I seem to have completely lost that, that
movie theater tickets should be about 1c because that's a good
approximation of the wear and tear on the seat and they were going to
show the movie anyhow so why leave a seat empty a penny is better than
nothing?

Thus, all spammers are criminals.

                          Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

You have not demonstrated this.  For all your pretty arguments, and for
all that I agree with most of them, you have not shown any point of
criminal law that they are violating.  (I suspect there are such, but
your arguments haven't shown so.)

Is your point that you doubt that, e.g., hijacking PCs via use of
viruses/trojans and using them for personal gain (spamming) isn't
criminal?

I suppose you should be free to hold that view or even demand that
someone convince you otherwise but somehow my instincts tell me you're
just being argumentative and grasping for straws here.

My point is that spammers' economics are such that they could not be
the problem they are without mass unauthorized utilization of others'
resources, such as the current favorite mode of using hijacked zombie
PCs by the thousands.

Is that carefully worded enough for your tastes while still making the
point w/o attempting to win a case against Johnnie Cochran? Or should
I throw in some allegedly's also?

Sheesh.

Haven't we gone waaaaaaaaaaay beyond trying to tackle this problem and
are now neck deep in trying to nitpick each other to death?

Ya know who's gonna win that one doncha? THE SPAMMERS!!!

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*