Re: [Asrg] hashcash, was My take on e-postage

2004-04-27 08:14:08
Jonathan Morton wrote:

Here's a table:

Age (days)   IP Count/cum%  Hit Count/cum%
         0      67974/ 5.0     174862/25.4
         1      65816/ 9.8     184589/52.1
         2      54233/13.8     118338/69.3
         3      48207/17.4      50991/76.7
         4      38517/20.2      45567/83.3

I don't get it. Why is the hit count for some days so much lower than the host count?

The detector is running on a multitude of dmoains with vastly higher flows in total, whereas the hit count above is on our own production mail service.

Anyway, assuming your figures are correct, that indicates that 2/3rds of the hosts are rolling around to the beginning of the list again, because they're being detected as new immediately after being expired. That in turn seems to suggest 25k new zombies per day, rather than 70k.

Not quite - there's some information you're missing. Minimum redetection interval is 48 hours, yet this is on last detection. On the other hand, the numbers for previous days isn't going down by much. That first number (70K) is continuously rising. A month or two ago it was around 15-20K, a few months before that, it was 5kish. The redetection interval hasn't changed.

The total zombie pool is probably a more reliable figure, which I'll round up to 1500k.

Dynamic IP detections (this thing makes no distinction) would tend to push it back down.

When the expiration interval was four months, the total was around 2200K. The reduction of 4mos -> 1mos resulted in an immediate 2200K->1000k reduction, but only lost 3% of the detections.