RE: [Asrg] My take on e-postage

2004-04-28 22:06:22
(Just to be picky, by "costs" you mean "prices", right?)

just to be equally picky outside of a monopoly, prices follow costs.

For example, in the case of MS their aggressive marketing gave them
enough of an effective monopoly in some software areas that they could
raise prices (and costs.) That's not too obscure an example is it?

So you are proposing a monopoly to control pricing? Where are the market
forces you spoke of previously, you cannot have it both ways.

 > do we wholesale block entire countries? Does that become censorship?

Well, it'd certainly be reasonable, after some transition period, to
only accept e-mail with a valid e-postage stamp.

well if we are going to implement that sort of infrastructure then why not
just identify the sender with a digest of some sort why make it a "cost"
item

If we could start by re-inventing the entire e-mail system from
scratch then I don't think solving the spam problem is all that
difficult.

I believe most everyone agrees with that.

Yes

But you've got this little problem like a billion or two computers out
there who already do e-mail this way, and firewalls and corporate
policies and routers and servers etc.

Billions? one or two in five for every head of the population. more
exageration I'd say

One nice thing about e-postage is that it could, in theory, be slipped
right w/o particularly interfering with end-users. For example, for an
entire corp it could be done at the edge server, or at the ISP by some
agreement.

Isnt that re-inventing the mail system.
admittedly not for the "billions" of end users but the same goes for every
other system

 > Many Many programmers would see such fees as an attack on the
freedom of the
 > internet. an attempt by governments to shut down the free flow of
 > information under the GUISE of spam control.

You do understand the difference between free as in beer and free as
in speech, right?

any implementation of a charge would be considered as an impediment to free
speech.
I didn't say it had to make sense. But I can assure you many people would
think this way.

its more about resistance to change.

Um, what are they gonna do when they're flooded with spam through this
new system?

How does painting the car yellow make it run faster? etc.

perhaps the new software would be designed to eliminate spam
See your own comments above.
(Red is the faster colour by the way)

 > I wasn't in general, but for a list such as this it is
inevitable. does the
 > ASRG pay? of course not. For a list like this it must be
recipient pays.

 > Who else would?

The sender?

the sender *is* the ASRG or at least the list manager

I send one email, the ASRG then distributes it to all recipients.

Are you saying I should attach an open cheque to my email and say "charge
this with as many recipients as you have on the list"?

or perhaps you are saying that one charge one email regardless of the number
of recipients?

There is a slight flaw there.

Regards
Chris