Re: [Asrg] [Fwd: Yahoo! Mail Publishes Specification for DomainKeys]

2004-05-20 15:38:18
My statement is based on http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.txt :

Mandatory Statements
====================

All Internet-Drafts must begin with ONE of the following three
statements:

        This document is an Internet-Draft and is subject to
        all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

        This document is an Internet-Draft and is subject to
        all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026 except that the
        right to produce derivative works is not granted.

        This document is an Internet-Draft and is NOT offered in
        accordance with Section 10 of RFC2026, and the author does not
        provide the IETF with any rights other than to publish as an
        Internet-Draft

On 5/20/04 1:13 PM, Yakov Shafranovich sent forth electrons to convey:

Matthew Elvey wrote:

Apropos Yahoo's DK I-D wannabe-
http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys/draft-delany-domainkeys-base-00.txt posted to this thread: It fails to meet IETF requirements for publication as an I-D, or for serious consideration by this group.

This text is not allowed:
"This document may not be modified, and derivative works of it may not
be created. This document may only be posted in an Internet-Draft."

Slight correction: it meets the IETF requirements for publication as an ID. HOWEVER, it does not meet the IETF requirements for a standards track ID. There is a slight difference.

I am not involved with the DK/IETF discussions but my hunch is that the Yahoo guys are waiting to see if they can proceed in the IETF Standards process before modifing the ID. Same as what took place with the SPF ID - the -00 draft has the same problem, the current -01 draft does not. I would assume that they are probably discussing things with the ADs at the IETF.

Yakov
--
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com