Re: [Asrg] [Fwd: Yahoo! Mail Publishes Specification for DomainKeys]

2004-05-19 22:30:27
Apropos Yahoo's DK I-D wannabe-
http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys/draft-delany-domainkeys-base-00.txt posted to this thread: It fails to meet IETF requirements for publication as an I-D, or for serious consideration by this group.

This text is not allowed:
"This document may not be modified, and derivative works of it may not
be created. This document may only be posted in an Internet-Draft."

I discussed DK with John Levine privately. My conclusions as a result of the conversation*:

DK requires orders of magnitude more
work to adopt, though not as much as SPF+SRS.

DK is about as reliant on blacklists/reputation services as other proposals. Without them, CSV is not easier for a spammer to circumvent than DK or SPF. They all require that something be put in a DNS entry for a domain that costs approximately nothing to put there beyond the cost of the domain itself. DKs aren't signed by CAs, remember. Exploit: A spammer would have control of the DNS server for the responsible domain, and a BotNet spamming node would spam with a valid DK. The DK would be in the zombie worm that created the BotNet, or even communicated via IRC.

So, I think DK is shown to be about as trivial to circumvent as the 40% solution / CSV+++.

As has been said before, all the extant I-Ds, including this one, and C-ID can only work against spamers long term in conjunction with
either
A)RHSBLs or
B)mandatory (but not necessarily monopoly/oligopoly) reputation services.

*(Don't want to quote from private email without asking for an OK, so here's just what I said that stood.)