Re: [Asrg] SMTP AUTH

2004-12-06 23:20:15

Well, if we keep working to make SMTP mail unusable by more people, more
people
might be FORCED into using Web mail, more often.  I don't think that's a
very
bright thing to do, in part because Web mail (just as accessing ANY Web
sites)
comes with its OWN whole new set of risks and dangers (malicious
scripting,
ActiveX, decryption of obscured content, text-as-image, cookies, etc etc),
which
if anything are MORE difficult to deal with and secure than SMTP mail is.

Let me refresh ur memory that even MUAs can display HTML and hence we face
more or less the same problem in MUAs too.The idea is to send mail with
authentication and if a secured webmail does that one should prefer that
rather than banging their head against the wall just because we need
SMTP/POP to do the job which is done better by some other thing. We should
remember that our goal is to stop spam by whatever means possible,
protocol is just a medium.

I agree wholeheartedly about Web sites being a concern, and sooner or
later we
will have to address that too, but for the time being we're trying to
solve the
MAIL problem, and for our purposes here I think we need to focus primarily
on
SMTP/POP3 and similar.