Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-22 06:47:41
JL quoted:
This is yet another reason why a fine-grained permissions-based
approach, where the *recipient* can decide what E-mails they do and
do not want to receive (based on who the sender is, and what the mail
contains) is so decidedly the right way to pursue this problem.

So long as you are willing to spend an unlimited amount of money on an
e-mail infrastructure that accepts and stores terabytes of spam,
almost all of which will be discarded unread, and a fabuously complex
spam filter control panel that almost nobody will use, I suppose I
agree.  If you want to continue getting mail for $20/mo forget it.

Sorry, John, why would we have to accept and store all this unwanted mail?
Have I missed something? I'm not sure of the details of the "fine-grained
permissions-based approach" postulated, but you seem to have managed to
come up with a price for it. Remarkable.

This is the first time I've heard that the "end of spam" should come in at,
or under, $20/mo per seat. Let's all bear that in mind. Incidentally, for
all us non-US types out here, $20 is something between loose change and
several days pay, depending on exchange rate and local standard of living.