Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-22 14:44:11
John Levine <asrg(_at_)johnlevine(_dot_)com> wrote:

Sorry, John, why would we have to accept and store all this unwanted mail?

What Mouse said -- you can't filter it until you've got a copy of it.
The large ISPs I know tell me that 90% or more of the mail that's sent
to them is spam, so if you're going to filter everything rather than
reject most of it before receipt using various sorts IP blocks, that
suggests an order of magnitude increase in the work the mail servers
have to do.

So you have to "accept" (well, not in the "250 yeah whatever" sense)
it; but you don't store it for very long, maybe not even long enough
to write to disk.

This is the first time I've heard that the "end of spam" should come
in at, or under, $20/mo per seat.

Here in the US at least, that's been the going price for basic
Internet access for at least a decade, give or take a few dollars.

But that includes access.  Accounts without access (but with email,
etc.) are about half that.

Seth