Re: [Asrg] Spam, defined, and permissions

2004-12-22 14:07:34
So long as you are willing to spend an unlimited amount of money on an
e-mail infrastructure that accepts and stores terabytes of spam,
almost all of which will be discarded unread, and a fabuously complex
spam filter control panel that almost nobody will use, I suppose I
agree.  If you want to continue getting mail for $20/mo forget it.

Sorry, John, why would we have to accept and store all this unwanted mail?

What Mouse said -- you can't filter it until you've got a copy of it.
The large ISPs I know tell me that 90% or more of the mail that's sent
to them is spam, so if you're going to filter everything rather than
reject most of it before receipt using various sorts IP blocks, that
suggests an order of magnitude increase in the work the mail servers
have to do.

This is the first time I've heard that the "end of spam" should come
in at, or under, $20/mo per seat.

Here in the US at least, that's been the going price for basic
Internet access for at least a decade, give or take a few dollars.  If
price is no object, a much better solution would be for every e-mail
user to hire a secretary to sort through the incoming mail.

Regards,
http://www.taugh.com