Re: [Asrg] More 'pay per' foolishness

2004-12-30 16:59:53
It is unfair that a few network abusers consume much of the bandwidth. But we want profitable use of the network. Those that use an obscene excess of our shared resources should pay.

My comments are more of the philosophical side, on how should spam be paid for in a free market.

I block IP addresses after just one spam. I block groups of 256 IP addresses with 3 or more offending IP addresses.

I punish them to protect my systems from overload. But it they would pay me, I be happy to unblock them.

It would be good, in principle, for those who used an excesses of our resources would pay those using less than their share. In the spirit of commercial television, the advertisers could pay for the whole system

We all have the power to block or unblock, but there is no standard for payment for unblocking.

Many advertisers now balking at email advertising may use it if they could be assured they will not be blocked or sued. There is a social cost to spam, our time, our computing resources and networks. Advertising on the Internet saves money and resources. An added cost of a penny for an add the recipient actually received, for example, would still be a small fraction of printing and postage costs.

What does it cost? The only reasonable choice is free market value. I am currently blocking over four million IP addresses from reaching about 400 real email accounts. I have no choice really, except to upgrade my email server. If I were to open the flood gates, my server will become overloaded by spam filters and crash. Everyone we get to this point if spam continues to grow exponentially.

I doubt many of the IP addresses I block are legitimately following the can spam requirements and should be blocked. But some of them, and many other businesses wanting to reach our users pay to get theory message across. To make the system scalable they must pay for the resources they utilize.

I could handle about four times as much email with about a $500 per month upgrade. That come out to about 3/10 of a cent per added email. Your millage may vary, but unless these economics are provided for the system will fail. Scalable economics will promote growth and stability. We all have the power to block and unblock, and do so profitable for advertisers and networks collaboratively. There should be a standard, but it will be the marketplace that decides ultimately. Some system like this must emerge so that our networks can sustain growth.

Jim