Re: [Asrg] More 'pay per' foolishness

2004-12-31 07:55:04
Peering analysis is broken out by protocol already and could easily
be billed accordingly. Currently, this data is used for capacity
planning.

That's nice.  Could you ask them, if they got port 25 traffic bills
from all of their peers, how likely is it that they'd pay, are they
prepared to break those bills down and send individual bills to all of
their customers, and what are the procedures for dealing with
customers that don't pay them?

Metered Internet traffic has been the telcos' wet dream for a decade,
but there is a whole lot of difference between counting backbone
packets, which I believe they do, and an actual top to bottom billing
system.  That's the multibillion dollar thing to which Phill referred
that doesn't exist.  Yes, I know they're set up to bill voice minutes
to phone customers, but ISP customers are not phone customers.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor
"I shook hands with Senators Dole and Inouye," said Tom, disarmingly.