RE: [Asrg] Spam Ecomomics

2004-12-31 07:25:16

-----Original Message-----
From: Gadi Evron [mailto:ge(_at_)linuxbox(_dot_)org]
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2004 2:19 AM
To: Hannigan, Martin
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Spam Ecomomics

SPAM EcoNomIc Model "SPAMEMIM" (Like "Eminem")

  NSP       -- LAYER 4  IMPORTANT
  ISP       -- LAYER 3
  SPAMMER   -- LAYER 2
  ENDUSER   -- LAYER 1  LESS IMPORTANT

At layer 3 and 4, economic attack.
At layer 3 and 1, technology attack.

Relationship Matrix

Layer 3 and 4
Layer 3 and 1

There's never a relationship top Layer 2 i.e. noone spends
time on "getting" the spammer, the efforts are focusing on
fixing the user.

Hi Martin. I really enjoyed your email. However, if I understood it
right, you are saying spam costs ISP's and is not beneficial?

 From your own text I'd have concluded the opposite [if I
understood you
right].

Beginning in people paying for bigger tubes, through people
paying for
spam solutions all the way to paying for spam email solutions
at the ISP.

Gadi, I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. Can you elaborate
a bit further?

Let me try what I did get.

Spam does not cost at the higher levels i.e. peering. It costs in transit
fees. Large entity peering == settlement free. transit == $.

Thanks!

-M<