RE: [Asrg] More 'pay per' foolishness

2004-12-31 07:21:51

Just a quick update.

I just heard from my friends at $large_telco.

Peering analysis is broken out by protocol already and could
easily be billed accordingly. Currently, this data is used for
capacity planning.

Cheers,

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                         (c) 617-388-2663
VeriSign, Inc.                          (w) 703-948-7018
Network Engineer IV                       Operations & Infrastructure
hannigan(_at_)verisign(_dot_)com

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
James Lick
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2004 1:05 AM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] More 'pay per' foolishness

John Levine wrote:

If you're going to count the port 25 packets, it seems to me that a
much cheaper and equally effective approach would be to forget about
money and let networks set hourly or daily ingress quotas for their
peers.  If someone on network A sends a huge blast of spam to network
B, they'll hit their daily limit at 12:05 AM, and no more mail over
that path until tomorrow.  Then network A has to deal with the
complaints from its own users that their mail is falling on
the floor.

This is similiar to what the Daum company in Korea does.  (They run a
popular Korean webmail system.)

It works basically like this:

1) They have a whitelist of known high-volume servers which can send
mail without limit.

2) Anyone else can send only a limited amount of mail per day
to their
servers.

3) A high-volume sender can apply to be whitelisted, or they
can pay a
certain amount to send mail to their servers.  However, this
payment is
more like a bond because they also have buttons on the
recipient's email
for them to vote whether they wanted it or not.  If there is a
definitive feedback that the mail is wanted, they will be
added to the
whitelist instead.  Lots of bad feedback and the sender may
be refused
anyways.

You can read more about it from a presentation about it:
http://apcauce.mail.daum.net/meeting/meeting_2nd/yonnie.pdf

In the presentation they call it an online stamp system, but most
senders don't need to actually pay anything.

Disclaimer: As you will notice from the above URL, Daum's
employees are
heavily involved in the Asia-Pacific chapter of CAUCE, and
they host the
APCAUCE web site and mail server.

--
James Lick -- 黎建溥 -- jlick(_at_)jameslick(_dot_)com -- http://jameslick.com/