Re: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

2005-01-05 04:25:10
Michael,

Thank you for your feedback.  I have updated my website in response to
what I
believe were the most significant criticisms of my method, and I believe
that
my method is now devoid of any major flaws.

Charmingly put, but you're sadly mistaken!

You have failed to address the major flaw in your process which occurs
because your system introduces a new message into the transport system for
every questionable message identified by your system.

It is not enough to simply mask spam from end-users where this is done at
the expense of a significant increase of load other parts of the system,
particularly those parts outwith your control, and most importantly those
parts for which there will be a tangible dollar cost.

The fact that low volume systems may have excess capacity does not mean
that increasing load is without cost though it may be accomodated without
expenditure. What it does mean is that part of the cost of the redundant
capacity is now associated directly with the generated messages. Likewise a
system which is efficiantly utilising close to its full capacity would
require investment in infrastructure to allow it to participate.
Your system does not make this participation optional. Any party
transporting mail destined for any party using your system would require to
double their capacity for that route.

Any effective system must be cost effective, not just technically complete.
The cost of transporting unwanted email is already a significant part of
the problem and your system will increase, rather than reduce, this cost.

d.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s)
only. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the
message to the intended recipient) please notify us immediately on 0141 306
2050 and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it
or use or disclose its contents to any other person. As Internet communications
are capable of data corruption Student Loans Company Limited does not accept
any  responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. For
this reason it may be inappropriate to rely on advice or opinions contained in
an e-mail without obtaining written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans
Company Limited or the sender accepts any liability or responsibility for
viruses as it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Opinions and
views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and may not reflect the
opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limi!
 ted.

presence of computer viruses.