Re: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

2005-01-06 13:02:11
Bouncing 0.1% of all spam to random uninvolved people *by design* is
not an acceptable approach.

Especially not when it's being bounced in an idiosyncratic format, as
is (putatively) being done here.

I regularly get bounces of forgeries aimed my way.  Most of them are
rejected at SMTP time, because my mailer knows hwo to pick apart
multipart/report and look through the headers to see if they exhibit
certain characteristcs that all legitimate mail from me show.  (It's a
weak test - it lets through a forgery every now and then - but it's
good enough to do a lot of good.)  Hosts that bounce forged mail to me
in other formats get a little request to please either stop doing
accept-and-bounce or start doing multipart/report bounces; hosts that
persist get blocked.

Hosts that persist in sending me Michael-Kaplan-style not-quite-bounce
challenges despite an explicit request that they stop will get blocked
too - assuming any such ever come to exist.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML
mouse(_at_)rodents(_dot_)montreal(_dot_)qc(_dot_)ca