Re: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

2005-01-09 16:48:16

On 2005-01-09 14:36:01 -0500, Michael Kaplan wrote:
Again you are assuming that everybody will be using the same system.
How can the mailing list software know that they are a single entity?
After all <peter(_dot_)holzer(_at_)wsr(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)> and
<peter(_dot_)janecek(_at_)wsr(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)> aren't two
mail addresses of the same person, either. One is mine, the other
belongs to a colleague two doors down the hall.

When my system is activated all existing addresses are grandfathered in.
Now peter(_dot_)holzer(_at_)wsr as an individual activates my system

No, he doesn't. Please stop assuming that everybody will use your system
immediately. Even if your system wins out eventually, there will be many
years where a significant portion of the email users don't use it. Also
you must assume that there will be competing systems. So maybe the WSR
will adopt a system where subaddresses are constructed with '+' as a
delimiter, and AON will use one where subaddresses are constructed with
'-' as a delimiter. (And others will maybe use / or $ or whatever)

and he can use any sub-address he wants except the system will not
allow him to use "janecek."  Now no one else can establish an account
with a peter(_dot_)????(_at_)wsr address.

Which would be unacceptable, given a company policy that everybody
should have an email address of the form
<firstname(_dot_)lastname(_at_)domain> and
the number of Peters around here.

I'm not insisting on using "."
Agreement can be made on using another keyboard symbol for this system.
Whether ; # * ! < or whatever is used is not important.  I'm sure that
whatever symbol is used there will be someone somewhere who will be
inconvenienced, but by picking a less common symbol the number will
be far less.  It's fine with me if peter.holzer;8j2ms7(_at_)wsr is used.

Picking a less commonly used symbol for this system will
solve most of the concerns you had about the way this system
interacts with mailing lists.

Michael Kaplan