Re: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

2005-01-10 00:56:03
On 10/01/05 02:06 -0500, Michael Kaplan wrote:
<snip>
I would like to correct my math.  If I may quote from my own website:

"Email service providers will continue their practice of blocking the bulk of
email that is suspected of being spam even before it is accepted.  Bounces
are never sent to this vast amount of probable spam that is rejected at edge."

One member of this list estimated that 90% of spam was eliminated at the
periphery, before content filtering occurs.  Spam sent with a valid
sub-address will still be subjected to this blocking.

I don't think you really understood my point. There is no way that large
providers can profitably filter out such large spam volumes with content
filtering. Could you provide numbers on the spam volume your Lycos mailbox
gets?

Also there is really no limit to the number of bogus email accounts that could
be fed to spammers.  I mentioned a 2:1 ratio of bogus account to real
accounts.
If this isn't enough then how about a 10:1 ratio?  Conventional thinking is
that
spammers don't care about bogus address - but now they will.

How about a 1% _delivery_ ratio being good enough? I have heard claims
that as many as 50% of email addresses in a spammers list are bogus.
They just send out twice as many mails.

<snip>
A lot is being made of the concept that with a decoded address a spammer can
send
you an enormous amount of spam in a single day.  The spammer would much
prefer to
send you 1 spam every day than 300 on a single day.  I would much rather
receive
an enormous amount of spam once every few months than receive a little bit
each day.

I would rather not recieve any spam at all, but since that isn't going
to be possible without giving up on email/moving to a pure whitelist, I
would choose the little bit daily.

Wading through an inbox full of spam is far more irritating then hitting
delete a couple of times (I have the additional effort of adding the
source IP to my access.db, or complaining about the spammer). The last
time I got flooded with spam was when the encrypted zip archive
mailbombs occured, I just blocked all of ARIN space except my regular
whitelisted servers for a week and kept a very careful eye on my logs.
This luxury is simply not available to people not running their own
personal servers.

Devdas Bhagat