RE: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

2005-01-09 23:41:52

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
Seth Breidbart
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 1:23 AM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
Seth Breidbart
"Michael Kaplan" <mkaplansolution(_at_)lycos(_dot_)com> wrote:

Let's do the math.  A spammer finds 5% of his spam
reaches people.
Way high.

Define reach. Hit the disk or eyeball? Sorry if I'm behind here.
I think MORE reaches people.

Hits the eyeball, since disks don't buy stuff.

We'd have to get good estimate from someplace like AOL.

Also, a lot of place block at the IP level, so the spam never gets in
to the spambox in the first place.

Seth

I think a lot depends on what your provider or company does
and who your upstream is although no blocking is taking place
at tier 1 as far as I am aware.

I'm not up on local provider methods anymore, but I'd think AOL
vs. Hotmail would be interesting.

-M<