RE: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

2005-01-09 23:13:56
-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
Seth Breidbart
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 12:57 AM
To: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Please critique my anti-spam system

"Michael Kaplan" <mkaplansolution(_at_)lycos(_dot_)com> wrote:

Let's do the math.  A spammer finds 5% of his spam reaches people.

Way high.

Define reach. Hit the disk or eyeball? Sorry if I'm behind here.
I think MORE reaches people. And method matters. For example,
I have a hotmail account (yes, it's true) and while I don't
"see" spam in my whitelist mbox, I have to go look at it for
false pos. I get more "spam" than mail, and I must eyeball the
spam for false pos.

[ snip ]

And the list cannot be sold to other spammers since almost every
address on the list will be deactivated after the first large wave
of spam is sent out.

So the single spammer sends out 15 waves of spam simultaneously.

Easily done.