Re: [Asrg] Has ASRG outlived its usefulness?

2005-06-07 21:06:57
Do you expect people to use this list only to announce relevant
papers and research work carried out elsewhere?  The usual way to
handle this is through conferences, not a mailing list.

Conferences?!

Perhaps if you're stuck in an academic mindset.  But I know that I
certainly am not going to bother with conferences to "announce" any
anti-spam work I've done; I've got too much else on my plate, and many
(all, of the ones I've looked at enough to tell) of the conferences
both (a) are ridiculously expensive (I'm an individual) and (b) are
ridiculously (from an anti-spam perspective) infrequent.

For example, I just recently found that a significant amount of malware
spew aimed at (say) example.com can be drained off by putting a
pure-sink SMTP server at mail.example.com, where example.com's MX
records do not name names resolving to mail.example.com's address -
apparently some of the malware takes the target domain, tacks "mail."
on the front, and tries to send it there.

Is this "research"?  Maybe.  Testing it and finding that it works
probably is.  Is it worth a paper?  Probably not.  As soon as it
becomes a widespread defense, the malware will stop doing that; the
malware may stop doing so in any case.  I expect it to become worthless
as a defensive technique within a year.  Is it worth paying some
conference organizer good money for the privilege of presenting?
Abso-F-ing-lutely not.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML
mouse(_at_)rodents(_dot_)montreal(_dot_)qc(_dot_)ca