Re: [Asrg] Has ASRG outlived its usefulness?

2005-06-07 23:04:36
On Jun 07 2005, der Mouse wrote:
Do you expect people to use this list only to announce relevant
papers and research work carried out elsewhere?  The usual way to
handle this is through conferences, not a mailing list.

Conferences?!

Perhaps if you're stuck in an academic mindset.

I'm not saying conferences are by any means necessary, only that they
are usual gathering places for announcing and sharing large amounts of
research work. The IETF has conferences, John mentioned CEAS.
I'm making the point that if the main function of this list is to
announce what's going on elsewhere and shun technical discussions,
then it has little going for it.

This list needs more meat, but no real work gets done on it because
it's supposed to happen in subgroups. But who reads the subgroups?

(snip example)

Is this "research"?  Maybe.  Testing it and finding that it works
probably is.  Is it worth a paper?  Probably not.

Right. Those are interesting tidbits which can generate a small thread,
but apparently not focused enough on what's expected for this list?
I don't know.

--
Laird Breyer.